Wellness Director / University of Southern California Hillel
This job is no longer accepting applications.
USC Hillel ~ Bradley Sonnenberg Wellness Initiative
Enrich the lives of Jewish students by joining USC Hillel as Wellness Director. In this innovative and distinctive role, you will lead with vision in continuing the development of our Bradley Sonnenberg Wellness Initiative, which seeks to promote and improve the wellbeing of all USC students through advocacy, engaging events and educational opportunities, and clinical support. We see care for the whole person as a fully integrated component of our responsibility to nurture Jewish community. Our intentional dedication to student wellness has become a hallmark of USC Hillel’s culture.
The Wellness Director will build an engagement strategy that enfranchises students around their personal wellbeing, work with student leadership, colleagues, and university partners in developing comprehensive and immersive wellness programming, and interface with our Hillel therapist to promote access to clinical services, conducting intake and triage of therapy clients as needed. Under your leadership, USC Hillel will incorporate work with mindfulness, stress management, personal growth, and more within an intentionally Jewish framework.
You will thrive in this role if you are enthusiastic about realizing vision, leveraging strategic campus partnerships, and applying your skills and passion to our specialized setting, serving a burgeoning Jewish community on a premier college campus. The Wellness Director is a member of our Student Life Team and reports to the Assistant Director of USC Hillel.
What You’ll Do
- Build meaningful relationships with USC students oriented toward wellness promotion and deepened involvement in Jewish life.
- Guide and empower student leaders and interns to develop and lead meaningful wellness programming based on their peers’ needs and interests.
- Create strategies with students and colleagues to expand wellness programming while infusing well-being promotion into current Jewish life experiences at USC Hillel, with a global view toward offerings supporting physical, emotional, and mental health.
- Serve as a knowledgeable referral source and point person for students seeking additional support for various well-being needs, including nutrition, spiritual, financial, and mental health, academics, housing, and more. Share referrals to local resources including the Hillel therapist as appropriate. Identify and strengthen student support networks via family, friends, and university resources.
- Collaborate with on-campus partners to advocate and promote campus wellness including the USC Offices of Wellness and Crisis Intervention, Student Affairs, and Religious and Spiritual Life.
- Provide training and consultation to USC Hillel colleagues, building a unified culture on our team and equipping our staff to offer appropriate student support.
- Build strategic relationships with a variety of stakeholders, including USC, the Jewish Federation of Greater Los Angeles, the Jewish Community Foundation of Los Angeles, and other core partners in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Participate fully as a Hillel professional in the Jewish communal life of the campus, facilitating Jewish life through meaningful observances of Shabbat and Holidays and in coordination with major campus events.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit, a willingness to take risks and learn from your wins as well as your losses.
- Capacity to create space for a diversity of perspectives and allow all student voices to be heard.
- Strong relationship building skills and accessibility to students from diverse backgrounds.
- A desire to support students in their time of greatest need.
- Experience training or empowering college students to design opportunities to promote social, emotional, or physical well-being.
- An attitude of proactive communication and collaboration.
- Expertise in leading complex conversations around mental health and wellness.
- A commitment to Jewish pluralism.
- 2-5 years of professional work experience. Experience in a Jewish professional, higher education, or mission-driven organizational capacity a plus. Past Hillel experience a plus.
- Master’s Degree in social work, public health, or a related field.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a complex team, both within an organization and with external partners.
- Ability to work autonomously and manage multiple projects.
- Excellent time management skills.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $55,000-60,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Outstanding professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel regionally and abroad.
About USC Hillel
USC Hillel is the Center of Jewish Life at USC, engaging over 70% of our 2,000+ Jewish student population annually. Our mission is to enrich the lives of our students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world. Fostering meaningful Jewish experiences, USC Hillel develops leaders and inspires young Jewish Trojans to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life. We offer a welcoming environment, nurturing space to build strong Jewish community, and an emphasis on peer-to-peer relationship building among an actively engaged student base. USC Hillel offers opportunities for students to become leaders, mentors, and community members with the greater USC and Los Angeles communities.
About the University of Southern California
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles and a global center for arts, technology and international trade, USC enrolls more international students than any other U.S. university and offers extensive opportunities for internships and study abroad. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
About Hillel International
USC Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Founded in 1923, Hillel has been enriching the lives of Jewish students for more than 90 years. Today, Hillel International is a global organization that welcomes students of all backgrounds and fosters an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel. Hillel is dedicated to enriching the lives of Jewish students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world. As the largest Jewish student organization in the world, Hillel builds connections with emerging adults at more than 550 colleges and universities, and inspires them to direct their own path. During their formative college years, students are challenged to explore, experience, and create vibrant Jewish lives.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Hillel is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world.