Accounting Manager, Planned Giving & Endowments
This job is no longer accepting applications.
If finance, business administration, and social impact are your jam, read on, because this role sits at the intersection of all disciplines. As Accounting Manager, you’ll play a vital role in the financial administration and reporting of assets totaling approximately $140 million. These assets include supporting organizations, split interest agreements (charitable remainder trusts, charitable gift annuities), endowment funds, day school funds and community trusts. You’ll manage internal staff and outside resources to ensure transactions are properly recorded, invested, and reported in accordance with the terms of donor agreements, various governmental/agency requirements and generally accepted accounting principles. You’ll work closely with senior level colleagues across the organization, including the Vice President of Planned Giving (whom you’ll report to) and the Controller of UJA-Federation. And together with your boss you’ll help to develop a business plan for the Community Trust program. (Hello, resume builder!)
About the Organization:
The world’s largest local philanthropy, UJA-Federation of New York’s mission is to care for Jews everywhere and New Yorkers of all backgrounds, to respond to crises close to home and far away, and to shape our Jewish future. Funds raised by UJA-Federation sustain the activities of local health, human-service, educational, and community agencies. Every day, these community-based organizations provide a multitude of services that improve and enhance people’s lives.
We’re known to throw lots of fun projects someone’s way when they demonstrate the energy, interest and competence. In addition to special projects (including the business plan mentioned above), here are some of your primary responsibilities.
- Manage all financial aspects of the Planned Giving Department (PG&E), including maintaining database software information and coordinating financial information flow.
- Oversee distribution of payments and tax information to annuity beneficiaries.
- Review and/or prepare journal entries, cash flow analyses and financial statements for all PG&E related activities.
- Oversee preparation of all tax and regulatory filings (federal, state and local, as well as NY State Insurance Dept.)
- Develop, implement and maintain departmental policies and procedures to conform to UJA-Federation policies, regulatory requirements and generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP).
- Communicate with donors, financial institutions and departments within UJA-Federation on a wide range of financial topics relating to planned giving.
- Lead and assist on special projects, as required.
- Manage and support the Senior Accountant.
Qualifications and Competencies:
Of course, we’re looking for a good cultural fit – someone who’s unflappable, who demonstrates grace under fire, who’s both curious and methodical. Additionally, the right candidate will have the following:
- Strong accounting skills and working knowledge of GAAP. Prior not-for-profit accounting experience and familiarity with split interest agreements a major plus.
- Excellent working knowledge of Excel and Word. Demonstrated ability to work with specific applications software such as accounting/general ledger, fundraising and planned gift administration.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both verbal and written and via remote work tools such as Microsoft Teams and Zoom.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting. CPA, a plus.
- 4 – 6 years of accounting experience in a large corporate and/or not-for-profit environment, including a minimum of 2-3 years in public accounting.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Bachelors or better in Accounting.
4-6 years: Accounting experience in a large corporate and/or not-for-profit environment, including a minimum of 2-3 years in public accounting.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
We make strategic decisions about where we can make the biggest difference, and build innovative programs to change millions of lives.