Assistant Director / University of Florida Hillel
Transform student life for one of the largest campus Jewish communities in the country as the Assistant Director of University of Florida Hillel. The opportunities for Jewish life at the University of Florida are limitless and you will play a central role propelling UF Hillel forward. Driven by your commitment to excellence and passion for Jewish life, you will lead people and create opportunities that enrich lives and shape the future.
The University of Florida is a big place with big dreams, a sense of community that spans the globe and unites generations. At UF, our common bond has always been more than a rallying cry. It is born of a steadfast commitment to excellence, and the Jewish Gator Nation will be looking to you to develop strategies that inspire every Jewish student at the University of Florida to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life. You will articulate a vision for Jewish engagement and implement a data based approach to maximize UF Hillel’s reach. Engaging every Jewish student will become your mantra as you collaborate with dynamic professionals and passionate students to ensure vibrant, diverse Jewish life at the University of Florida.
What You’ll Do
- With the Executive Director, design, and execute an engagement strategy to connect Jewish students at the University of Florida to Hillel’s mission.
- Develop student leadership to ensure diverse opportunities, including Shabbat and holiday celebrations, social justice, Israel education, engagement and advocacy, Jewish learning, and community building.
- Supervise, mentor, and support the growth of 3 full time professionals and 20+ student interns.
On a day to day basis you will
- Develop intentional relationships with students that help strengthen their Jewish identity
- Be a thought partner with the Executive Director, senior staff, and campus partners
- Recruit, supervise, and lead the student intern team
- Build student group leadership by identifying and cultivating student leaders, providing them with ongoing mentorship and support
- Oversee data driven student engagement strategy to identify students, ensure timely and appropriate ongoing relationship building, and foster a culture of accountability
- Design and implement curriculum for cohort fellowships, such as our freshmen leadership development program
- Guide UF Hillel’s Israel education, engagement, and advocacy efforts, including one of the largest campus-based Israel travel programs in North America. Staff Israel travel programs and craft effective participant follow-through
- Lead weekly staff meetings and plan quarterly retreats in collaboration with senior leadership
- Manage the hiring and training of growing team of program and engagement professionals.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 7+ years in Jewish, experiential, or higher education
- Experience as a professional in a Jewish nonprofit organization is preferred
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent supervision skills and ability to coach others to achieve outcomes, with experience hiring and managing a team
- Success creating structures and opportunities that assist and empower students to take initiative and ownership for their communities
- Developed and/or implemented a strategic plan, including reporting and tracking data
- Record of accomplishment managing multiple projects while maintaining exceptionally high quality and outcomes
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- An entrepreneurial spirit - things may not always go according to plan, but you understand that ambiguity is part of developing great new opportunities and are constantly striving to for excellence
- Comfort in managing teams, as well as working independently and collaboratively
- Knowledge of what makes people tick - you can connect people’s passions and interests to Hillel’s mission
- Strong written and verbal skills, effective at communicating with a variety of stakeholders, including students, parents, alumnae/i, and university partners
- A commitment to pluralism and comfort with your Jewish identity so you may act as a role model and mentor for emerging Jewish adults
- Owning your unique Jewish knowledge and experiences and inspiring others to be on a Jewish journey
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $75,000 - $85,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
About University of Florida Hillel
With one of the largest Jewish student populations in the country, the opportunities for Jewish life at UF are nearly limitless and UF Hillel strives to operate on a scale capable of meeting this challenge. Hillel provides Jewish students with community and connection through a relationship-focused approach that seeks to ensure every Jewish Gator is inspired to find their own voice and relationship with Judaism.
Gainesville is a great place to live with all the offerings of a vibrant college town, including an excellent arts scene, first class medical care and academic health system, SEC sports, and inspired local restaurants. Here culture meets nature with eight state parks, featuring more than 100 miles of trails for biking and hiking, plus crystal-blue freshwater springs. The wide range of offerings, extremely high quality of life, and relatively low cost of living has made Gainesville an increasingly popular destination to live for people of all ages.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
University of Florida Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
Your application has been successfully submitted.