Assistant Director / Syracuse University Hillel
Join Syracuse Hillel as the Assistant Director to help enrich the lives of students and shape the future of Jewish life at Syracuse University. As a member of our senior staff team, you will collaborate with other staff as we collectively advance Syracuse Hillel’s goals to build vibrant, multifaceted Jewish life. You’ll be a strong leader who can align the team around a vision, marshal resources effectively, and continue to build upon the organization’s reputation of transforming Jewish campus life. You’ll motivate student leaders from different communities to share their best skills and authentic selves to build community for their peers, provide supervision and support for the program staff team, and develop and maintain relationships with less engaged students. Through this, you will increase the level of involvement and commitment of students in all aspects of Jewish life on campus. You’ll use your magnetic personality to inspire students to make Judaism integral to their life choices and expressed Jewish values. Our students are awesome (we’re genuinely wowed by them daily)!
What You’ll Do
- With the Executive Director and other staff, envision, design and execute an engagement plan to connect more than 70% of Jewish students at Syracuse to Hillel’s mission, advancing and stewarding our strategy of creating new and supporting existing programs that speak to students’ diverse interests.
- Supervise, mentor, and support the growth of 2 staff members and 60+ talented student leaders running a robust program including Shabbat, holiday celebrations, and meaningful Jewish experiences.
- Build relationships with 180 - 200 students per year from diverse backgrounds through meaningful conversations, and by creating connections to opportunities in Jewish life on campus.
- Identify the needs of different segments of the Jewish community on campus that are underserved and develop strategies for meeting these needs with proven community organizing and engagement methods.
- Continue to strengthen excellent strategic relationships with different organizations and departments on campus as well as in the local community.
- Provide support and care services for students, faculty, and staff.
- Develop and support vibrant Jewish experiences, one-on-one or small group learning, and educational programs. Pilot creative, new educational approaches and initiatives on campus.
- Interface with parents, alumni, university professionals, board members, and other stakeholders as appropriate.
- Be part of a team of professionals dedicated to creating an excellent Hillel to provide for the needs of Syracuse University’s 2500 Jewish students.
On a day to day basis you will
- Meet with students to co-create Jewish experiences for them and their networks of peers based on their interests, and to offer support and guidance.
- Mentor student leaders as they contribute to Hillel and the campus community in new, creative ways. Recruit, supervise and lead the student internship team and student board.
- Collaborate with university administrators to develop high-level experiences for the campus community around religious and spiritual life.
- Lead weekly staff meetings, meet one-on-one with staff, facilitate staff involvement in full-team efforts (i.e., major holidays, FreshFest, Family Weekend) and oversee the program calendar.
- Manage all information flow within the organization to keep our team on the same page including marketing, social media, programming and the calendar.
- Oversee the program budget, distribute funds, account for costs, and pursue grant opportunities.
- Oversee the collection and analysis of our engagement data in partnership with Hillel International.
- Staff Shabbat and holiday programming, assisting with discussions, rituals, and celebrations.
- Supportive immersive experiences by teaching Jewish education classes and staffing Birthright Israel trips.
- Participate in ongoing Jewish learning and professional development.
What You’ve Accomplished
- 4+ years of professional work experience.
- Experience in community organizing, Hillel, youth movements, camping, or experiential Jewish education is a plus.
- Proven success in community building and outreach, and previous experience in program visioning and implementation.
What You’ll Bring to the Job
- Keen organizational and management skills that will continue to unify our team.
- Familiarity with higher education and campus settings.
- A passion for working with emerging adults and investing in their growth as Jewish leaders, a commitment to pluralism, and a belief in the potential of every college student to grow as a leader and as a person.
- An awareness of your unique Jewish knowledge and experiences and ability to serve as a role model inspire others to be on a Jewish journey.
- Expertise in leading complex conversations about Judaism and Israel in a way that is approachable and meets students at various points in their personal Jewish journeys.
- A commitment to creating an inclusive, vibrant and pluralistic Jewish community.
- A strong entrepreneurial spirit and approach oriented towards creative problem-solving, proactive communication, and collaboration.
- Confidence initiating and running programs, and comfort asking questions.
- Ability to collaborate across teams both inside and outside of Hillel.
- Demonstrated ability to think and act strategically in order to reach goals, including proactive planning and attention to deadlines.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $70,000 - $80,000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities.
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel as relevant.
About Syracuse Hillel
Syracuse Hillel empowers students to become the next generation of Jewish leaders as they nurture and strengthen their Jewish identity, connection to the Jewish people, and the State of Israel. Hillel cultivates the potential within students to live a meaningful and productive life guided by Jewish values and wisdom. Syracuse Hillel has gone through unprecedented growth over the past several years. The partnerships with Syracuse University stem from the highest levels of support from the Chancellor, Dean of Hendricks Chapel, and administration to ensure Hillel’s success. Syracuse Hillel also benefits from strong partnership with the Jewish Federation of Central New York and with Hillel International, who provides resources and leadership to help Syracuse Hillel achieve excellence. Syracuse Hillel engages between 40-50% of the 2,500 Jewish undergraduate students at Syracuse University. As the Assistant Director, you will strengthen Hillel’s ability to meet the needs of Jewish students and create vibrant Jewish life on campus. You’ll also join a stellar team of energized staff who focus on excellence, collaboration, professional development, and a thirst for knowledge.
Syracuse has an accessible and engaged Jewish community which supports a Jewish day school, JCC, Jewish Home, Reform temple, two Conservative synagogues, and an Orthodox synagogue. There is kosher food sold at multiple supermarkets.
Syracuse experiences all four seasons and there may be snow on the ground any time between November and May. Fall is filled with beautiful trees, apple picking, and crisp nature walks. Winter is skiing, snowboarding, and other outdoor winter sports. Spring time is farmer’s markets, blooming flowers, and hikes. Summer is lakes, waterfalls, and festivals (including the NYS Fair!). These are just some of the benefits of living in the gorgeous Finger Lakes region.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Syracuse Hillel is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
Your application has been successfully submitted.