Assistant Director, Programming and Operations / Hillel of San Diego at SDSU
This job is no longer accepting applications.
Are you a people person? Do you have to see the picture from 3,000 feet and also with a microscope? Are you a self-starter change maker? Do you have a deep love for the Jewish community and for the operations that make it flourish? Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining Hillel of San Diego as the Assistant Director at San Diego State University.
Get To Know Us
Hillel of San Diego is on a mission to invest in the future of the Jewish community. We serve four main campuses: San Diego State University, University of California-San Diego, University of San Diego, and Cal State University San Marcos. We seek to transform the way Jewish students connect to each other, meaningful causes, Israel, and our world. To deliver on this, we need to be world-class and provide quality experiences and opportunities that engage and inspire. And that’s where you come in…
What You’ll Do
- In partnership with other Hillel of San Diego team members, you’ll design and execute an engagement strategy to connect more than 70% of Jewish students at San Diego State University to Hillel’s mission
- You’ll supervise, mentor and support the growth of 2 staff members
- You’ll use your creative side to execute a robust social media presence for all of Hillel of San Diego in partnership with other Hillel of San Diego staff.
- You’ll manage a state-of-the-art facility to ensure operations run smoothly and effectively in supporting Jewish life for hundreds of students
On a day to day basis you will
- Maintain and balance the program and operations budget for San Diego State.
- Be onsite and help run all Shabbat and holiday programming, overseeing all logistics and often participating in facilitation of Jewish learning experiences.
- Be a thought partner with the Executive Director and other campus directors.
- Build meaningful relationships with key university staff and faculty that yield productive partnerships.
- Connect with students to get them more involved in Jewish life on campus.
- Lead weekly staff meetings and 1:1 supervision.
- Support the staff hiring process and training of new professionals.
- Participate in ongoing Jewish learning and professional development.
- Help plan alternative breaks and Taglit-Birthright Israel, including pre- and post-trip programs.
- Oversee the collection of our engagement data in partnership with Hillel International.
- Handle all facility logistics like external rentals and maintenance scheduling.
- Build out and execute a comprehensive social media presence for all of Hillel of San Diego in partnership with other staff.
Who You Are
- You have 5+ years in Jewish, experiential or higher education.
- You have a sense of style and taste in everything you do.
- You’re an emerging leader who works well to create consensus within teams.
- You’re a social butterfly and everyone’s friend.
- You’re a social media maven.
- You’re not afraid of the pressure cooker. You’re an expert at handling deadlines and competing priorities.
- You’re a visionary who also knows when tradition counts.
- You’re proactive and seek out opportunities.
- You’re a critical thinker who embraces data and knowledge to develop solutions to problems.
- You’re so organized, your sock drawer is color-coded.
- You have a four-year degree.
What You’ll Receive
- Competitive salary in the nonprofit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $50,000-60,000
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, retirement plan, Life, AD&D and Long Term Disability (LTD) insurances, Flexible Spending accounts, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities
- Travel regionally and abroad, particularly to Israel
- Plenty of Hillel swag
Why Hillel of San Diego
San Diego is not just the cooler sister to L.A. and it’s not just filled with beach bums. America’s finest city is home to a vibrant Jewish community with an entrepreneurial spirit. We are leaders in tech, social justice superheroes, and just a lot of really nice and welcoming down-to-earth people. Hillel of San Diego is a decades old leader in Jewish life locally with a start-up mentality. Constantly seeking to better the way we reach students in creative and innovative ways, we are a small but mighty team of Jewish professionals who genuinely love the work. We serve four different campuses but operate as one cohesive team—always seeking opportunities to collaborate and connect. We like to laugh a lot, work really hard to deliver the best quality experiences, and in our spare time we take long walks on the beach and play with puppies.
About Hillel International
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
Hillel of San Diego is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Hillel is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to creating an accepting and inclusive environment for all.
Your application has been successfully submitted.
Hillel is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world.